Most of newbie’s are already started to use BlogSpot.com or WordPress.com as their blogging platform because these entire platform are free and investment is zero and returns high. The only thing which you might not like with BlogSpot is .blogspot domain name, which can easily be fixed by buying a custom domain name.
Usually, a BlogSpot URL is something like yourdomain.blogspot.com, and a custom domain name is www.yourdomain.com. Beside, A custom domain has many added advantages one of them most important advantage is SEO which is the top ranking factor on Search engine. If you are blogger then you must to realize one important thing is that’s to show your passion and your ability. For that, it’s perfect if you already have your own blog which show your passion and love for blogging and provides you with freedom to move one platform to another platform if you want.
For the newbies who have no idea how to Setup BlogSpot With your Custom Domain Name, in this article we are share the process with newbie’s who are struggling to do this. Here are the steps:
Complete Guide to Setup Custom Domain On Blogger:
Firstly buy a custom domain from any custom domain name provider company like GoDaddy, Bigrock but if you want to my suggestion then I recommend you to buy domain name from GoDaddy. And try buying .com .net .org .info domains instead of any other.
It is quite simple you don’t need any guru to get it done for you. I purchased my domain at goddady.com, so anything in the tutorial is based on that, but still work on any platform. This tutorial is intended for those who already bought the domain name and just want to redirect.
Add Register domain name to your BlogSpot Blog:
- First you need to login to your blogger account and select your blog, go to Settings Under the publishing menu, your blog address would be there. Then click on Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog. Enter your domain name you just purchased, keeping in mind that it must begin with www in order to for it to work and click Save.
- After saving, you will see an error saying “We have not been able to verify your authority to this domain. Error 12..” and a two Generated CNAMEs code, which need to be kept. The code should be like this:
Note: Each CNAME is composed of two parts – Name, Label or Host and Destination, Target or Points to. The first CNAME is the same for everyone, Name being “www” and Destination “ghs.google.com.” The second CNAME is particular to your blog and your Google Account, and is therefore different for each person.
- Now Login into your Godaddy account click on MyAccount>Visit my account>and click on domain
- Now you can see your Domain name, click on your Manage at the right side of your purchased domain name and click on DNS Zone file tab and then click Edit button to edit your DNS zone file. A new page will open where you can add DNS and A record setting.
- Now Go to CNAME (Alias) field and add codes generated by Blogger in first step as shown below:
- Repeat the step for second CNAME from the Blogger codes kept earlier on.
- Click on finish & on the next page you need to click on save changes.
- It’s now time to add A (Host) record. Go to A (Host) field and add the IP address used by Blogger in the manner I have added in my domain DNS zone file and keep default A record that is available by default in your zone file. Click Quick Add button and add “@” inHost filed and “IP address” in Points to Field and keep TTL 1 Hour. You can use the below IP(s);
- If you have inserted the above IP’s then click on the Save DNS Zone button to save your settings.
- The next step is to forward your Domain (setup redirection). Go to setting in the top menu and scroll down to Forwarding. Now click on Manage and Add your domain name in the Forward to field, select 301(Permanent) in the redirect type field and keep Type forward only
- Now wait about an hour for your DNS settings to activate. After an hour go back to blogger platform and re-enter the purchased domain name, and hopefully your blogspot.com address will soon redirect to your new custom domain.
One last thing:
There are many users who do not enter the ‘www’ prefix and so they will not land on your blog, but will land on a 404 error page. To solve this problem, we need to redirect the non-www URL (known as naked URL) to the www URL.
Follow these steps to redirect the naked URL to the correct URL.
- Again go to Blogger dashboard > Settings > Basic > Publishing > Blog address
- Click on Edit > Check the option ‘Redirect yourblog.com to www.yourblog.com‘
- Click on save. That’s it!
Also Read: 10 Best Web Hosting Companies Worldwide
That’s all friends. Follow these entire steps and don’t skip any steps to successfully setup custom domain. This is the entire method for Setup Custom Domain on Blogger with Godaddy.com. This whole procedure takes but five minutes to be completed. I hope this can be terribly useful for you.
If you found this tutorial helpful for you then share your comments with us and share this article on social media along with your friends. If you are stuck anywhere in the process and need some help, feel free to let me know via comments.