Tutorial and Tips For How To Shrink Clothes. You can follow them easily and resolve your problem of shrinking clothes.
Different materials shrink differently and require different methods of shrinking, so it’s important to determine what the garment is made of before you try shrinking it. For example, cotton shrinks the best, polyester shrinks less, while leather and fur will get ruined rather than shrink.
Let’s take a look at some ways to shrink clothing. Note: For cotton, wool and polyester, if the process doesn’t shrink the garment enough, follow the directions for pre-shrunk and older clothes later in this article.
There are two reasons why you want to know how to shrink clothes. One is that you have unstitched garment you which you want to shrink before stitching so it didn’t become tighten when you wash it after stitching. Second reason to shrink clothes is when you buy some ready made garments and it is loose you want to shrink it.
Why and which type of clothes shrink
Fabrics especially cotton and wool shrinks. Fabric is stretched during its making process that is why it shrinks when come across to heat or washed. Wool have scales on it that are raised in same direction to each other but when you wash it, its scales loses its direction and catch each other upon drying. And you feel wool shrinks
Tutorial Of How To Shrink Clothes
- Wash the cotton garment in hot water.
- Put it in the dryer. Turn the dryer on high heat.
- Check the garment’s size at various points during the drying cycle. This is especially important if this is the first time you’re washing the garment and it’s not a pre-shrunk garment. If it looks small enough, set the dryer to low heat/air dry and let it run until the garment is dry.
- Wash the wool garment in hot water.
- Put the garment in the dryer. Run the dryer on medium heat until the garment’s dry.
- Wash the polyester garment in cold water.
- Put the garment in the dryer. Run the dryer on high heat until the garment’s dry.
Pre-shrunk and older garments:
- Boil water.
- Soak the garment in the hot water. Be sure the water covers the entire garment.
- Transfer the garment to the washing machine. Use insulated gloves or a long stick to avoid burning yourself.
- Wash the garment in hot water using a very small amount of detergent.
- Place the garment in the dryer as soon as the washing cycle ends. Dry the garment on high heat.
- Check the size of the garment. If it’s still too large, repeat Steps 1 -5 until the garment shrinks enough
Shrink clothes by hand
- Heat up the water in a pot and mix it in a tub of cold water to make the water warm (Caution: don’t use boiling hot water because it may fade color of your garment)
- Now put the clothes in tub of warm water.
- Soak the clothes for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Now take your clothes out of water.
- Now put clothes in air to dry it.
By using washer and dryer
Now a day’s people are lazy and they prefer to washer and dryer so here is method to use it for shrinking.
- Fill the washer with warm water.
- Put your clothes in the washer and run it for some time.
- Now take your clothes out and put it in dryer.
- Now dry it on medium heat.
If you have any suggestion or want to ask about How To Shrink Clothes Please share it with us via comments.