How to make saline nasal spray at home. If you are dealing with cold, flu, congestion or any allergy then nasal spray can be the best bet for a cure. Saline nasal spray acts as an effective way to provide relief from any congestion or any allergy causing cold or congestion. Saline nasal spray can be made at home with few easy steps. You can make saline nasal spray within few minutes with the help of few ingredients. Following are a few tips to help you to make saline nasal spray:
1.) Boil Water to Make Saline Nasal Spray
Boil around 1 cup of water to make sure there are no impurities in water and water is sterilized.
2.) Let the Water Cool
Let water to cool down at room temperature and the water is in lukewarm state. Lukewarm water will be good for your nasal membranes and will soothe the congestion.
Also Read: Tips To Get Rid Of A Cough
3.) Transfer Lukewarm Water
Transfer lukewarm water in a sterilized bottle. You can sterilize the bottle or container by boiling it in water for 2-3 minutes.
4.) Add Salt to the Lukewarm Water
Take non-iodized salt and mix it well with the water in the bottle. Non-iodized salt is better to use as iodine is also a kind of allergen. You can make two types of solutions with salt:
Isotonic Solution: Isotonic solution is made by adding 1/4th tablespoon non-iodized salt in water. Isotonic solution is good for treating the sinus problems. The salinity of isotonic solution matches with the salinity of our body tissue, which in turn helps to use this solution easily.
Hypertonic Solution: Hypertonic solution is made by adding ½ to ¾ of non-iodized salt in water. Hypertonic solution is more saline than our body tissue. You can reduce nasal congestion by using this hypertonic solution.
5.) Add Baking Soda to Make Saline Nasal Spray
Take ½ tablespoon of baking soda and add it into the solution. The effect of salt can be softened by adding baking soda.
Don’t Use Same Solution Everyday
You can add more baking soda to the solution to make it for 2 days. Discard the solution after 2 days and always make saline nasal spray with fresh solution (whenever required).
Following are the ways to explain how to use this saline nasal spray:
- Use a Dropper. Take the solution in a dropper until it’s full.
- Stand near the sink and tilt your head in a direction from where you can put saline solution into your nose.
- Slowly put the saline solution into your nose by pressing the bulb of the dropper. Try that solution hits back of your head instead of the top of your head.
- Wait for solution to draw towards your mouth through the nose. The extra solution in your mouth can be spitted out.
- For other nostril, repeat the process.
- Repeat the process for both the nostrils 2-3 times.
- Blow off your nose when you are done.
- Also Read: Tips For How To Get Rid Of A Cold Without Using Medicine
- Try this saline water nasal spray everyday till the congestion is gone.
Additional Tips for Using and Make Saline Nasal Spray:
- Wash the dropper you used daily with soap after use and before use.
- If congestion doesn’t go off even after a week, then you need to consult a doctor.
- Don’t use same saline water next day. Make a fresh saline solution every day to be used throughout the day.